Saturday, October 22, 2011

I have an Appointment

In July 2010, the founder of International Justice Mission came to speak at my church.  They are a human rights agency that brings rescue to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression.  The work this organization does is amazing, literally life changing for its staff, the people that they liberate, and those that they bring to justice.  The speaker was so well spoken and heartfelt; I was in awe of his passion and strength of conviction.  I came away telling people, “I want to be passionate like that about something.”  But not a cause that I choose from a laundry list of charities, but something that truly speaks to me…something specifically for me.  And so, I began to pray and then went on about my life, not realizing what my prayer would lead to.  Sometimes we forget that prayer works! 

In October I went to the Remember Nhu fundraiser here in Portland.  I met Nhu, and learned more about her story.  And then on December 23, 2010 I had dinner with some of my dear girlfriends from church, and one of the girls asked what was something each of us wanted to do in 2011 that was significant to us, outside the box or a challenge.  And when my turn came, I blurted out, “I want to go Cambodia.  I want to go to Remember Nhu.”  And it wasn’t as if I had even been really mulling this over or thinking about it.  This just came tumbling out of my mouth.  Out of my heart.  And as soon as I said, I knew that this wasn’t something I came up with, it was the Lord’s thing, for me.

Fast forward to October 22, 2011. While the destination has slightly changed, this is the fulfillment of that word from December and prayers that began over a year ago.  I have a divine appointment!  God has a specific mission for me, and 17 other people, as we head to Thailand.  And as I look back on my life and the last several years, I know that this divine appointment came about because of what God had for me at Solid Rock, and the people I met there.  This means that the catalysts that brought me to Solid Rock and these relationships were also things that God used to guide me to this next season in life.  To know that you are right where you are supposed to be brings peace and joy that only God can give.  And I am right where I am supposed to be…which is on a jet plane in less than 12 hours!  I can't wait to see what is in store.



No comments: