Saturday, October 15, 2011

Remember Nhu


This beautiful young girl pictured here is Nhu.  Before I leave on my trip I hope to share with you the video of Nhu telling her story.  In the meantime, here is mine.

When I first arrived at my home church of Solid Rock, I learned about an organization called Remember Nhu, http://www.remembernhu.org/.  Remember Nhu is a non-profit that is working in Thailand, Cambodia and India to prevent child sex trafficking.  They have homes in these three countries, where at-risk children who are in danger of being trafficked, are referred.  These children are given a safe place to live, food and clothing, loving house parents, and they receive an education and learn about Jesus and His love and faithfulness. 

As I learned more about Remember Nhu’s cause, I was horrified by the reality that exists beyond my everyday life.  Human trafficking is the largest criminal enterprise in the world, with a market value of $32 billion per year.  An estimated 1.2 million children are trafficked every year.  That’s 3,287 children…a day (United Nations).  In October 2010, I personally met Nhu, the organization’s namesake.  I listened to Nhu tell her story of being sold by her grandmother when she was just 12 years old, to a man for her virginity and being held against her will for 3 days in a hotel room while she was forced to service him.  She told this story all by herself, standing on a stage in front of more than 200 hundred people…in her own words, in broken English.  And then I was broken.  I am going to Thailand because after listening to Nhu courageously share her experience, I am compelled beyond reason, to do something…anything.

No comments: